Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mom's know best....

Growing up my mom always told me I was special. Here is a good example of why. I just returned from a simple drive around the formally populated town of Rexburg. I went to the bank, stopped by the icy church parking lot(for strictly secular reasons) drove over and through a couple piles of snow and then was headed to the Tom Cruise. Well as I was driving I could feel that somehow I had gotten my shoelace inside my shoe and it was starting to annoy me. So I reached down and tried to pull it out. Turns out the whole loop was in my shoe and by pulling on it it had grabbed a hold of my little toe and had tried to bend it backwards. This was a little bit uncomfortable as you can imagine so I pulled off my shoe to relieve this pain. So here comes the special part. I try and put my shoe back on but it requires my right hands assistance. Without thinking I put my arm through the steering wheel to do this while I steer with my left hand. And since I have been putting on my own shoes for close to 23 years now I accomplished this feat rather easy. But then I try to bring my arm back through the steering wheel but it doesn't come back out quite as easily as it went through. Somehow I can't quite figure out how I need to bend my elbow as to allow my arm to come out, keep in mind I am still driving at this point. To make a long story short it took me about a block to finally get my arm out of the steering wheel. I'm glad this happened, in fact the only thing that I wish was different was that this happened in rush hour traffic. I can just imagine this happening and me struggling to get my arm out when I look over at the car next to me and the passengers are just staring at me, mouths open, head slightly cocked to the left. That's when you smile, nod your head with a little wave and if you happen to be at a complete stop roll down your window and say "pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?" And this was another life in the day of Thome!

6 comments:

Amy said...

I wish I could have heard this story in person because I'm pretty sure you would have acted it out. Maybe you could record you tell the storing and put it on YouTube?
Oh! And at the end if we would have said something I bet you would have said, "Well, here's the thing though..."
I'll be looking forward to stories like this in April when you come out to Indiana to visit me.

Myke said...

Thome, you're very special, and it isn't just your mom who thinks so.

P.S. I met Zach's bro Jed yesterday. He was asking questions about Zach and he said, "So is Zach staying away from Thome?" I just laughed.

Quinn the Eskimo said...

I think Zach is staying away from Tom, I haven't seen him in over a week. In fact, the only people not staying away from Tom are Ford and me. Where are you guys?

Vickie said...

To0o0o0ommm!!!!
That's all I have to say!!!

Harpski said...

holy cow. that is hilarious. filled with giggles. I wish i was in a car, mouth agape and gawking.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? No offense, but you're not exactly built like... somebody with huge arms. So why the problem pulling your arm through the steering wheel? I'm beginning to see what your mom meant by 'special'. Haha. Your 'specialness' makes for good reading atleast.